Hello Skokie! My name is Allie Underwood and I am a 29 year resident of Skokie! I grew up in the Lorel Park neighborhood, attended Madison, Edison, Lincoln, and Niles West. I now own a condo in Skokie and have taught in District 69 for 7 years!
1. The Schools! Our community has so many great schools and teachers that work collaboratively across districts to educate the children of Skokie. The elementary districts are working hand in hand with the high schools to deliver vertically aligned experiences and rigorous learning opportunities for our kids! Proud to have gone through the Skokie School systems as to now work in one!
2. The Backlot Bash. What an amazing weekend every summer to get the community together. Great bands and rides. And my personal favorite, the pancake breakfast!
3. Diversity. All walks of life who work, live, learn, and play together!
4. Skokie Park District. Summer camp was always my jam! Lorel Looney for life!
5. Skokie Public Library. Always surprised by the programming they provide our community. A fantastic youth department and fantastic librarians that support teachers and students. A special shout out to my librarians for always hooking my classroom up with our “green bag” of books for special units of study!
6. The Yellow Line! Best connection to the city!
7. Restaurants. Just a few of my faves: Pita Inn, Annie’s, and Curragh!
8. 4th of July Parade. Always a great celebration and fun to see all of our “Skokie greats” riding in the parade.
9. Progress and change- the dedication of our town to constantly bring new businesses, housing, development, and opportunity to Skokie.
10. Haben Funeral Home. This may sound like an odd thing to have as a favorite. But this family business continues to amaze me in the comfort they can bring to families in the worst of times.